Chlorine dioxide is a disinfectant biocide and a hazardous dissolved gas, which can be harmful if not correctly managed. It requires a specific test and conditions to be sampled correctly and corrective action taken.

Chlorine Dioxide Water Treatment

Widely used as a disinfectant, chlorine dioxide is useful for fighting biofilms and bacteria such as legionella. It’s commonly used as a secondary measure, connected to the system in small-scale applications. However, overdosing can be harmful, especially in drinking water supplies.

Chlorine Dioxide Testing

Safety limits imposed by the World Health Organization (WHO) mean that the use of chlorine dioxide as the primary disinfectant for drinking water is no longer possible – although it can still be used as a secondary measure. You should be aiming for residual levels of no more than 0.5ppm.

To sustain a safe level, we recommend monthly monitoring of the chlorine dioxide machine and maintaining the correct levels of chemical reserve. Sentinel points and other outlets should also be checked monthly.

UV Water Purification

One of the alternative ways to disinfect your water is through UV photolysis. Using ultraviolet light to treat your water is safe, effective and environmentally friendly. UV water purifiers remove contaminants from the water supply by emitting UV-C radiation to neutralize harmful bacteria, viruses, algae and microorganisms. We can recommend this equipment if we feel it is suited to your environment. 

Ultraviolet lamps should be replaced every twelve months. Opal can support you with this equipment by changing over the quartz sleeves and bolts and ensuring it’s functioning correctly.